Friday, February 1, 2013

Ginataang Halohalo (Mixed tropical fruit in Coconut milk)

I loved my Mom's version of the GINATAANG HALOHALO. I never learned to cook it until I worked in Brunei. One of my colleagues cooked "bubur chacha," (as Bruneians call it) and brought it to the clinic. I really loved it.

My mom has this old cookbook which I kept for years. It has the recipe of the ginataang halohalo but the text was in Tagalog. It was easier to understand but there were Tagalog words like "puswelo" that I hardly understand. It has a number after it, so, it could only mean a measurement in cups. To be sure, I Google Translate it and I was right. 


I asked our maid to buy from the market an already-made BILU-BILO or glutinous rice or rice flour balls. It costs Php 20.00 only for one-fourth kilograms. My husband likes LANGKA to be added to the recipe. There was no fresh LANGKA or Jackfruit available in our area, so, I bought LANGKA in a bottled packaging from the grocery store. Sita, our maid likes SAGO or Tapioca Pearls or Tapioca Balls added to the recipe. 

I did not buy the Coconut Milk that were sold in canned packaging. I preferred the fresh (grated) coconut meat. I added some water then squeezed and strained the milk.

I simply followed the step-by-step instructions from the cookbook and voila.... the end result was truly magical.


I sent a picture back to my colleagues and told them how we enjoyed eating the GINATAANG HALOHALO or Bubur Chacha. Of course, they were impressed. My husband was so happy. Sita was truly amazed and I think she ate more than she should, LOL!

You can also check out this link,  Panlasang Pinoy. You can also watch the video, Ginataang Halohalo.  I preferred these websites because the cooking instructions were so simple and were very helpful to a beginner cook like myself.  





If you Google Search "Bilubilo in English," it will show results for "BILBIL" in English.
Bilbil is a Tagalog word for "baby fats" or commonly called "love handles."



 

No comments:

Post a Comment