Friday, February 8, 2013

Assorted Humor Stories About Food


Finger Lickin' Good. 
A friend of mine in Saudi shared this humor story to my FB page

A Bangladesh cleaner went to see her at her Office
and told them some great news about a newly opened food store next door.
Story Courtesy of Belay



The Original KFC?

Filipinos are known to come up with odd, funny and crazy business names 
and sometimes associate them with well known or top businesses.
Examples are 
McDomeng for Mcdo,
Da Fork for The Fort,
Starback for Starbucks,
 and many more.
I took a picture of this banner hanging in one of the gates of our neighbor. 



To find out more, click Top 50 Funniest Pinoy Business Names


What's wrong with drinking hot water?

I went to a Chinese Restaurant in Brunei and ordered dimsum. 
While waiting for my food, I asked the waitress to give me a glass of warm water. 
She came back with two glasses of hot water. 
Puzzled, but I didn't bother to ask.
I drank from the bigger glass.  
When I looked to the other table, 
the same tall glass with hot water was on the table 
and with utensils in it. 
I realized that I drank from the glass where they put utensils for "sterilization" purposes




Gusto ko "Susu" (I like Susu)...

Our Clinic Manager bought canned drinks for the staff. 
Our doctor offered me a drink and said, 
"Would you like some Kopi Susu?" (Coffee Milk)
I laughed and replied back, 
"I don't like Susu. It means differently in Tagalog." 
When I told her the meaning ("female breast")
she laughed and said, 
"How would you like your Susu? 
Ice cold?"



Susu in Brunei means MILK. When I told the Susu story to my husband, he can't help but be impressed of the richness of susu in Brunei. So, when he came to Brunei to visit me, he had to taste Jagung (susu) himself. Jagung in Malay means corn. This is simply a sweet corn mixed with all sorts of topping flavors like susu (condensed milk) or choklet (chocolate). The sweet corn is like the one we buy from King Corn foodstalls, but sweeter with susu. 






Fungi, anyone? 
  
Some restaurants would name their food in a delectable manner.  
One poster from a food chain in Brunei
rather used the word, "FUNGI" for mushrooms. 
I still think of YEAST and MOLDS
associated with FUNGI. 
With that in mind, I never had the chance to taste 
the Fungi Fettuccine.




Epal for Apple.
 A friend of mine in Brunei, went to McDonald's to order an apple pie.  
On the packaging, a translation "Pai Epal" was written.
Epal in Tagalog means, associating oneself with anything though uncalled for
(exactly what most Politicians tend to do).

Photo Courtesy of Cecille





What's on the Menu?
I went to buy myself a burger at the nearest food store from the Clinic. 
To my surprise, there was nothing written on their Menu. 




Grab some Grabe.
My officemates were lining up to order food at KFC.
I overheard one of our messengers asking the man in the counter 
for some extra condiments.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment